File uploads are used to get data into BraveGen CSR. This functionality allows you to view your data as it will appear in the system and ensure that the file contains no errors.
Users involved in the file upload process are assigned one or both of the following roles:
- Data Source Owner (DSO): This is the person responsible for collecting the data to upload to the system, and may also submit data to the system.
- Data Submitter (DS): This is the person responsible for uploading the data to BraveGen CSR, when this person is not the same as the DSO.
Below you will find information on the following:
- Uploading a File
- File Upload Data Flow
Uploading a File
- Select File Uploads in the Data Collection menu.
- The File Upload page is shown below.
- Click the Select button.
- This brings up a file explorer window where you can search for and select your data file.
- Select the data file configuration from the dropdown.
- This tells the system how to read the file.
- If you do not know the name of the data file configuration;
- Check the content of the task notification email you were sent.
- Contact your system administrator.
- Select the related data collection task from the dropdown.
- This is listed in the task notification email you received.
- If the data collection task does not appear in the drop down, please refer to the troubleshooting section.
- Add a file upload reference if required. This will be listed in the instructions in the task notification email.
- Select the ‘No, this is not a test’ option in the Is this a test upload dropdown.
- Click the Upload the file button.
- A summary of the data you have uploaded and a ‘Comments and Approval’ section are displayed.
- Review the data summary and ensure that this matches the data in the data file.
- If the data summary differs from the file click the Cancel This Uploaded Data button and refer to the troubleshooting section below.
- Add a comment about the data you have uploaded and include the following;
- Any checks you have performed.
- Explanations of any anomalies in the data.
- Other information that may be useful for the person reviewing the data you submit.
- Click the Save Data to Quarantine button.
File Upload Summary Actions
If the data you are uploading already has corresponding information in the system you will be prompted with the following actions:
- Overwrite existing data: This removes existing information and replaces it with the new data you are uploading.
- Add it to the existing data: This adds the new data you are uploading to the existing information in the system.
- Ignore the new data: This prevents the new data you are uploading from being added to the system.
The default action is set when the task is created by your organisation. In most instances this will be the action that you choose, however you can override this.
As part of your data summary review, you must read the Comments and Existing Comments columns to determine whether the action selected is appropriate for each line item.
No Task Listed in the Task Selection Dropdown
Tasks will only appear in the drop down list if:
- You have been assigned the task.
- The task status is active.
If you believe the task should appear, please contact your system administrator.
Errors on File Upload
If there are errors in your data file, an error message will be displayed at the top of the data summary. If this happens, cancel the upload and fix the error in the file. Common errors may include:
- Date(s) in incorrect format.
- Spaces at the start or end of identifying information.
- Items you are uploading data for not matching existing items in the system.
To get more information about the error you receive, you can do test uploads with varying levels of detail. To do a test upload:
- Follow the File Upload steps 1 - 5.
- Select one of the test options in the Is this a test upload dropdown.
- Yes, with no analysis: This will display the same error you received on your original upload. This message contains basic information about the error.
- Yes, with minimal analysis: This will display the same information that is displayed in the ‘Yes, with no analysis’ option as well as a line by line analysis of each row processed in the file.
- Yes, with maximum analysis: This will display the same information that is displayed in the ‘Yes, with minimal analysis’ option as well as full row-by-row data extraction.
Data Declined from Quarantine
If the data you submit is not accepted by the data overseer (DO), you will receive an email notification. The email will contain commentary from the overseer as to why the data was declined. You must amend the file as per the comments and reupload it.
If you have any questions, please contact the data overseer to discuss the file. You can find the DOs email address in the original task notification email.
File Upload Data Flow
The purpose of data collection tasks is to manage the associated workflow and facilitate the notification, collection and subsequent review of a file's content. This is used in Quarantine, data sources and the Data Review pages in BraveGen CSR.
When a file is uploaded into the system it goes to Quarantine where it is reviewed and approved before being added to the activity data in the system. Full audit trails of this process are generated automatically.