Locate the Tasks page: Main menu > Data Collection > Tasks
On this page:
- An Overview of Data Collection Tasks in BraveGen CSR
- Viewing Tasks
- Add and Edit Tasks
- Edit Task Statuses
- Notification E-mails
An Overview of Data Collection Tasks
BraveGen CSR provides automated task management for the communication and administration involved in gathering, entering and validating activity data in the system.
- The parties involved and the instructions on how to complete a particular process are first defined in Processes.
- The frequency of performing these processes is defined in tasks.
- Tasks determine when email notifications are sent out
A typical manual process of collecting data would be:
- Someone sends a request for data for a specific time period to the owner of a data source. These are typically suppliers and/or internal staff e.g. from the finance department.
- That person then sends the data to someone responsible for sifting through the data to extract CSR related information.
- That person enters data into a CSR related template or system (often Microsoft Excel) and notifies the sustainability coordinator.
- The coordinator reviews the data and approves or declines the submission
- If the submission is declined the process begins again
- If the submission is approved the data "is live"
BraveGen CSR improves this process in several ways:
- by holding a central repository for all CSR data collection processes, instructions, parties involved, contact details and schedules
- by communicating with the different parties involved, providing them with the instructions of what to do
- by creating audit trails of all the actions performed and by whom
- by sending reminders to the different parties when steps are not completed in a timely fashion
- by providing a central repository for storing all data files ensuring incorrect versions do not re-enter the process
- by providing a rigid approve/decline process for submitted data
- by providing a central data repository for all CSR data eliminating the need for spreadsheets
Collecting data for an organisation's GHG inventory using BraveGen CSR follows these steps:
- The initial step
- Document your processes
- Record all your data collection processes in BraveGen CSR, one process per source of data. Each process includes instructions, example reports, the people involved and their contact details plus the level of complexity involved with generating the data, how it was historically performed and recommendations for future improvements.
- Create your data collection tasks
- For each process create a data collection task. Each task specifies when notifications and reminders should be sent out. If data is to be collected on a regular basis (e.g. quarterly of half yearly) then you can automatically generate repeat versions of the task at appropriate intervals.
- BraveGen CSR is now set up.
- Document your processes
- The Data Source Owner (DSO) step
- An email request for data relevant to a specific time period can be sent from BraveGen CSR to the DSO. The email contains instructions on what to do, who to send the data to, by when and what to do if more information or assistance is required.
- The DSO then sends the data to the Data Submitter (DS) or peforms the DS role as well.
- The DSO updates the data collection task in BraveGen CSR indicating that the data has been provided by the DSO. If data is uploaded then the system will automatically set the DSO step to complete.
- The system can send a reminder to the DSO on a schedule defined by the task creator.
- The Data Submitter (DS) step
- Where the DSO and DS roles are not performed by the same person, an email request for data to be submitted is sent from BraveGen CSR to the DS. The email contains full instructions on how to submit the data in BraveGen CSR, by when and what to do if they require more information or assistance.
- The DS enters data into data sources or BraveGen CSR by the pre-defined method specified in the instructions and enters commentry e.g. for data validation purposes.
- For manual updates only, the DS updates the data collection task in BraveGen CSR indicating that the data has been submitted and is awaiting review by the Data Overseer (DO).
- The system can send reminders to the DS on a schedule defined by the task creator.
- The Data Overseer (DO) step
- An email request for data to be reviewed is sent from BraveGen CSR to the DO.
- The DO reviews the data in the data sources Quarantine page or in BraveGen CSR and enters any necessary review commentry. The DO then approves or declines the data submission.
- If the DO declines the submission, the system sends an email notification to the DSO and DS containing the DO's feedback and the task begins again from step 2a above.
- If the DO approves the data submission in data sources, the data collection task is automatically updated indicating that the task is complete.
- The system can send a reminder to the DO on a schedule defined by the task creator.
Notifications and Reminders
Notifications, reminders and repeat reminders can be sent to the DSO, DS and DO based on the dates specified in the data collection task. Reminders continue to be sent until the particular party has completed their portion of the task.
The Task List
The Data Collection Dashboard, as displayed in the two images below, is the entry point to view and edit your organisation's data collection and review tasks. Importantly, the Dashboard enables you at a glance to see summarised information for each task including their completion status.
The information displayed on the Dashboard spans multiple columns and the scroll bars should be used to view all content in the Dashboard. In the first image below you can see information in columns that relate to the completion status, reference number, data collection period and any comments for each task. The scroll bars, as indicated by the green arrows below, enable you to scroll around the Dashboard.
To view the status of the DSO, DS and DO in performing their task roles use the horizontal scroll bar, as displayed in the green box below, to navigate to the right of the Dashboard. When there are many tasks spaning more than one page you may also use the grid sort, filter and grouping functionality to easily locate a particular task.
The table below shows available progress settings for the Task Status, DSO Status, DS Status and DO Status displayed on the Data COllection Dashboard.
|With DS||Not Used||Not Used||Not Used|
View a Task
From the Data Collection Dashboard you can view additional details for any selected task including the parties involved and the history, notes and documents. Click on the the Task Name of the selected item on the Dashboard as displayed below to go to the View Data Collection Task page.
On the View Data Collection Task page displayed below, system plus user generated notes, documents and history are presented in grids which contain sort, filter, grouping and grid content download functionality . Task notes and documents can be created by the DSO,DS or DO on the View Data Collection Task page and also in the following locations:
- Quarantine Data Review page in data sources
- Edit Data Collection Task page in BraveGen CSR
- Upload a Data File page in data sources
To download a document simply click on the red download button adjacent to the document.
Add a New Task
To add a new data collection task, click on the 'Add new task...' button on the Tasks page or the “Add tasks to this process” button on the view process page.
This will take you to the Add New Data Collection Task page (displayed below)for entering the details of the new task. Take some time to consider how you wish the task to operate including the task frequency, start and due dates for each role and whether you want reminder e-mails to be generated. Reference the following guidelines as required:
- First select the appropriate Data Collection Process from the drop down list. Wait for the page to automatically populate some of the text boxes on the page based on the information from the related Process.
- From the dropdown box select the report period that this task falls within and adjust, if required, the fields called 'What period are you collecting data for?' and the 'month period starting' date.
- When using data sources to upload data:
- The Default Import Action (overwrite, add to or ignore) is applied in the data sources File Upload page. Often when uploading utility invoices the Read To Date may finish part way through a month. When uploading new invoices, if data sources finds data already exists in the system for the month you are uploading data for it gives you a choice of actions (overwrite, add to or ignore). By setting the Default Import Action in the task the import action in the File Upload page will be set automatically for you (you can still override it).
- A task can be set as an Open Task. The status of the task will not be updated when uploaded data is approved in Quarantine so that DSO's and DS's can continue to upload data for the period. This is common when data is from utility bills with varying invoice periods. Utility invoices rarely start on the first day of a month and cover just that calendar month.
- The DSO, DS and DO start, due and reminder date fields are populated relative to the Processes start date and execution frequency. For example, if the Process starts 1 January 2011 and is to be executed every 3 months, then DSO, DS and DO start, due and reminder dates can be scheduled from 1 April 2011 (after the first 3 months of data is ready for collection).
- You then specify whether you want BraveGen CSR to create more than one task based on the processes execution frequency. For example, if the Process begins on January 1, 2011 and should be performed every 3 months for year then you may want to create 4 tasks. Enter the number of tasks into the "Number of tasks to create" box and finally click the "Save Changes..." button.
Edit a Task
To edit a data collection task, click on the button adjacent to the task name on the View Data Collection Task page, as displayed below.
Data Collection Task editing guidelines:
- You are not able to change the Data Collection Process it relates to.
- When editing a task you are not able to have BraveGen CSR create more than one task based on the processes execution frequency as when adding a new task. You will need to delete existing tasks and create new ones. If this is done part way through the Processes data collection period ensure the Start Date below the Task Name is set to the appropriate date. Deleting previously completed tasks is not advised as they contain a trace of past actions.
- You cannot edit a task that has been fully actioned and its status is marked as complete.
Edit Task Statuses
You can manually reset progress statuses of:
1. Overall task (Not started, With DSO, With DS, With DO and Complete)
2. Individual parties to the task i.e. DSO, DS or DO progress statuses (Pending, Active, Complete)
If you wish to reopen a complete task e.g. to apply corrections to data already collected, then update the Overall Task Status only.
To edit a task's progress statuses, click on the 'Edit Statuses' button adjacent to the tasks name.
Then use the drop down boxes provided to edit the 'Overall Task Status', or the progress status of the 'DSO', 'DS' or 'DO' as required and save your changes.
Notification Email to get a data collection task underway
Below is an example of a notification email that is sent out to the parties associated with a particular data collection task.
DO Notification E-mail
Below is an example of a notification email that the system automatically sends to the Data Overseer (DO) of a data collection task to advise that data has been uploaded into data sources and is ready for their review.
Task Complete Notifications
Below is an example of a notification email that the system automatically sends when a task's Overall Status is set to Completed. The notification is sent to email addresses that have been entered in the "Task Completion Notification" box of the Process that the task belongs to. The system accepts a comma separated list of email addresses to send these notifications to. If no emails are found then no notifications are sent.